The long history of Tamron: More then six decades of optical technology and still young.
Tamron is founded by Takeyuki Arai.
The company is listed as Taisei Kogaku Kgyo Co., Ltd. starting capital: 2,5 Mio. Yen.
- The company presents the world’s first interchangeable lens system for SLR cameras (T-mount).
- The high performance 135mm F/4.5 lens is introduced.
- The Tamron name is registered as a trademark.
- The headquarters and the main production facilities in Hasunuma, Omiya-City are established.
The world’s first mass produced zoom lens, the 95-205mm F6.3 is introduced. Zoom lenses become affordable and the market begins to boom.
- Production of lens testing platforms and high-precision lenses and prisms begins.
- Successful development of the Tamron “Adapt-A-Matic” interchangeable lens system, with automatic aperture control.
The production facilities in Hirosaki in prefecture Aomori are completed.
The company’s name is changed to Tamron Co. Ltd. The name comes from 1959. It is derived from Uhyoue Tamura, a great designer of optical components, who laid the foundations of the company’s technical expertise.
The Adaptall system with “quick focus” mechanism and macro options is introduced.
- The SP ( Super Performance) line of products is introduced. The series is a line of high performance lenses featuring high design specifications.
- Tamron Industries, Inc. USA in New York is established.
- The second production hall in the Hirosaki facility is completed.
- Production of the 6x Video-lens commences.
Tamron Vertriebs GmbH, Germany is established.
An integrated video lens is developed.
- Tamron is listed on the TSE (Tokyo Stock Exchange) and the capital is increased to 3,835,000,000 Yen.
- Optech Tamron Co. Ltd. is established in Namioka-cho prefecture Aomori.
- Introduction of the Fotovix.
- Tamron Fine-Giken Co. Ltd. is established and produces high precision molding components.
The molding technology production facilities in Owani-machi, prefecture Aomori are completed. Here key high-precision plastic and metal components are manufactured.
- Tamron France EURL is founded.
- The AF 28-200mm F/3.8-5.6 LD Super II Macro (Model 371D) receives EISA Photo Award “Lens of the Year” 2000-2001.
- Tamron celebrates its 50 th birthday.
- Headquarters achieves ISO9001 certification.
- The Hirosaki production facilities achieves ISO14001 certification.
- The AF 28-200 XR Super Zoom (Model A03) receives the “TIPA/Best Lens in Europe 2001-2002” award.
- The RF645 receives the Camera Grand Prize 2001 Journalists Club Special Prize, TIPA „Best Professional Photo Product in Europe” 2001/2002 and EISA „European Professional Camera of the Year“ 2001/2002 awards.
- Tamron Optical (Foshan) Co., Ltd. achieves the ISO9001 and ISO14001 certification.
- Headquarters achieves ISO14001 certification.
The AF 28-300mm Ultra Zoom XR (Model A06) receives EISA Photo Award “Lens of the Year” 2002-2003 award.
- The Di-lens generation (lenses for use with digital SLRs ) is introduced.
- The SP AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical ( IF) Macro receives EISA Photo Award “Lens of the Year” 2003/2004 and the CAPA 2003/2004 Lens „Grand Prix” in Japan awards.
- The production facilities of Namioka and Owani achieve ISO14001 through their integration in the Hirosaki plant.
The production facilities of Namioka and Owani achieve ISO9001 through their integration in the Hirosaki plant.
- The 18-200mm F/3,5-6,3 XR Di II LD Aspherical ( IF) Macro (Model A14) receives TIPA „Best Lens in Europe” 2005/2006 award.
- The 28-300mm F/3,5-6,3 XR Di LD [ IF] Macro receives 2004 “Nikkei Superior Products and Services Business Daily Awards for Superiority” award.
- The new production facilities for injected molding are completed near headquarters in Omiya.
- Tamron Optical (Shanghai) Co. Ltd. is founded.
- TAMRON receives EISA Photo Award “Lens of the Year” 2006-2007 for its SP AF 17-50mm F/2,8 XR Di II LD ASPHERICAL [ IF] 2006-2007
- Tamron introduces the world’s first 13,9x zoom at the Photokina (18-250mm – Model A18) for digital SLRs.
TAMRON receives EISA Photo Award “Lens of the Year” 2007-2008 for its 18-250mmF/3,5-6,3 Di-II.
TAMRON receives EISA Photo Award “Lens of the Year” 2008-2009 for its VC 28-300mm – the 10th time!
TAMRON receives EISA Photo Award “Travel Lens of the Year” 2009-2010 for its VC 18-270mm – the 11th time!
- Tamron celebrates its 60 th birthday.
- SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD (Model A005) receives EISA Photo Award “Lens of the Year” 2010-2011 – the 12th time!